Monday, February 10, 2014

Assessment of Language Learners

On Monday afternoons, I collaborate with our District ELL Director and Bilingual Coordinator to teach a course for our new dual language/ELL staff members to the district. Each week we focus on different topics related to best practice methods and strategies for language learners as well as how to develop bilingual/biliterate students.

This week, we focused on the hot topic of assessment. We hosted a gallery walk for our "students" to find out what they knew. I have shared examples of gallery walks before, but for those who may not remember this strategy involves questions/topics being posed to students, each on a different sheet of paper. Students are put into groups and asked to respond to the paper header. After a pre-determined amount of time, students will move with their group to work on adding information to the next poster. This continues until all posters have been visited. Then students will share out the information on the posters with the group. It is a great way to pre-assess students' prior knowledge and/or gauge their learning.

I must say, our professional students totally rocked out a ton of great ideas today related to assessment of language learners (and for that matter all students) that I thought you all may enjoy and find helpful as well. 

Their points to ponder were...
1) Factors to consider regarding assessment of language learners
2) How the CCSS fit in...
3) Purpose/Examples of Formative Assessments
4) Purpose/Examples of Summative Assessments


Here is a nice, neat typed up copy of all of the ideas shared. You can grab it by clicking on the image!


Have any ideas that you think are key points that were not added to our lists? Feel free to comment and share! I'd love to add more!




10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad it is helpful! I thought they did a pretty nice job as well! It's always nice to pool resources and ideas!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad your district has PD like that for its teachers! Are you a WIDA state? We're getting ready for ACCESS over here!

    -Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will say our district does do a nice job of providing support for our new teachers. We are a WIDA state. We actually just finished up ACCESS. Good luck with all of the testing!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing! I am a senior bilingual education major and I love browsing through your blog regularly to enhance my learning! Thanks very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Please let me know if you ever have any questions or I can help you with resources in any way! It'd be my pleasure :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will definitely keep that in mind! :)

      Delete