Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Multiplication Monsters and Persuasive Paragraphs

This week I was just looking for some activities to do with my class for fun to continue to prep them for multiplication in 3rd grade! They rocked all of our second grade review these past couple weeks- and were so excited to hear that this week we would be focusing on improving our multiplication skills. Since it is the end of the year and our focus is well...nill...I wanted to find something fun to help them practice their facts. I found an adorable activity from Katie @ Third Grade Teacher Files called "Multiplication Monster". 

I translated it for my kiddos and voila:

Click on the image to snag a copy in Spanish. If you would like it in English, click on the link above to go to Katie's blog. So here is the deal: the students roll a die two times to determine their mulitplication problem and then solve it to determine how many eyes, horns, teeth, and so on their monster will have. Then, they roll it one time to determine what their body will look like. Finally, they draw! Here are some examples from my littles:





So much fun!

We also finished up our persuasive writing pieces today. At the end of the year we always finish up with a piece in which the students have to "persuade" me that they are ready to go to third grade! They were quite convincing. I think they are ready ;)!

Here are a few of our finished products:


In English...


...and Spanish


We wrote in both languages- depending on the student's home language. As tomorrow we have our annual "Second Grade Super Graduation" in my classroom and the students read their writing to their parents! Thus, I like to have them do it in their home language so all parents can understand :)

For some reason, I forgot to save the writing paper we used for this activity on my jump drive. I must have saved it at school. If you'd like a copy, let me know and I would be happy to send it to ya!

Stay tuned for some photos from our super "hurrah" tomorrow! It is one of the highlights of my year!



No comments:

Post a Comment