Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Brr...it's cold! - Our visit to Antartica!


No, this photo has nothing to do with Antartica, but I thought it would be a good share. Our school does an alphabet countdown for the last 26 days of school. Yesterday was "A" and the kids were supposed to bring an "APPLE" for and "AMAZING" teacher. What am I going to do with all of these?

Anywho...

We finished up our visit to Antartica this week on our "trip around the world". While there, we visited with the penguins and learned all about how they live.



Then we created these penguins above. And wrote 3 facts that we learned about them on the fish in their bellies!


Before leaving the continent, we took some time to journal about our adventures so we will never forget what we saw and learned while we were here! Before beginning our journaling experience I always bring in journals from trips I have taken to share with my students and explain to them their importance to me!



The students have key phrases that they use to help them complete each entry. They share which continent they visted that week, then complete the phrases:

During our trip we saw...
Also, we learned...
I want/do not want to return because...

(For some reason the majority of my students shared they did not want to return to Antartica- reason being that apparently it's too cold ;))

Don't forget to link up your "Cinco de Mayo" ideas or just check out the wonderful ones that have already been uploaded! Click on the link below!









2 comments:

  1. Thank you for being a follower of Third Grade Love! I am your newest follower too!! The penguins are sooo cute! We actually do a unit on penguins. I can't wait to use this idea next school year!
    Thanks!
    Darleen
    Third Grade Love
    http://thirdgradelove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love. Love. LOVE your stuff. The penguins are darling and your Cinco de Mayo freebie rocks! SO glad I found you - I am your newest follower. If you find a moment, pop over for a visit (easier said than done this time of year).

    Kelley Dolling
    Teacher Idea Factory

    ReplyDelete